Thursday, June 23, 2016

Working on Cracks in the Ceiling and Walls This Week

 Well--the wallpaper is gone . . . and that's good.  The old ceiling paint is scraped clean.

From the scaffold--my brother Will picked the toughest job--repairing ceiling hairline cracks, and reinforcing with web tape and Durabond 90.    I told him it would take forever, and he proved me wrong.

I suggested we install new drywall, but he was dead set on repairing the original plaster.
I told him to sleep on the idea.  

He slept on it, and decided he'd do a grid of web tape and Durabond 90.  In between grid lines he found other surface chips and hairline cracks to reinforce.  


We are saving the metal cast chandelier in a matte gold.  

The milk white GLOBE shades, some broken, all were discarded, now I am in search of replacement 7 shades in all.  (chandelier and fireplace sconces).

25 watt light bulbs were replaced with compact fluorescent bulbs that are delivering better lighting while we work.  

What would you suggest for replacement shades?

***
On to the office

I spent a couple hours chasing hairline wall cracks with web tape and Durabond 90.  There are a number of "holes" too.  One as big as my fist--that I filled twice, and it will take more filling yet. 

 There are a number of overgrown nail holes I packed with knife curls of stiffer Durabond.  Yes, you can use every stinking bit of Durabond you mix.  

I'm pleasantly surprised how nice this is going.  Next visit, I'll jump on a taller ladder to do taping and troweling walls (near the ceiling).  This isn't hard work.  Just up and down the ladder.  I'm a short person, short reach, and lugging around the bigger ladder often is my only lament. 

I managed to spill Durabond on my shirt yesterday while climbing up the shorter ladder, and will have to pay special attention to the clothes I wear in the future (sacrificing older, less flattering clothing for the good of the project).

While waiting for Will to arrive yesterday, I finished removing the 1980s bi-fold shutters from the office windows.  Stored the shutters for yard sale.  

The change in the house--is like going from a cave into the light without those shutters. The house is smelling better too.  The house is changing.  We are changing too.  

The water/fabric softner used to wet down the wallpaper helped too.

Dust will continue to swirl throughout the rooms during repairs.  We continue to clean up as we go along--and even cleaning windows and surfaces with paper towel and blue glass cleaner--and hepa filter shop vac.  These rooms will be cleaned, and then will mess it up, and cleaned some more.  

I never get tired of looking at the beautiful stained glass windows in this old 1892 Queen Anne Victorian.  The bay window is welcoming.

Won't it be fun to go buy primer and wall color?
I can see it this room getting the 'suit and tie' treatment next month.

My brother Will is quite interested in George Washington, Benjamin Franklin, and Abraham Lincoln.
Perhaps portraits of these gentlemen to decorate the walls?  

Maybe a big 24 x 36 portrait of George over the fireplace mantle?




Benjamin Franklin 16 x 24 portrait on the office wall?


Plenty of room in the office for Abraham Lincoln too.


My plan is to return to the old house to work on Friday or Saturday.  More photos to come


1 comment:

Donna said...

Love those windows, the slate on the window seat, I would do that in my own house now that I have seen it. This room is sure coming along.